Welcome to My Rally Campaign
- My name is Deedra Irwin. I started biathlon about 1 year ago, but I have been skiing competitively since high school. Biathlon is a combination of target shooting and cross country skiing. It's a sports that requires a lot of physical and mental endurance and stamina.
- My goals are to compete for Team USA on the IBU and World Cup levels this winter. I already accomplished my goal of making the US Biathlon X-team, which is a developmental team for the National program. Eventually I would like to compete regularly on the World Cup and qualify for the Winter Olympics in 2022. Not only is it my goal to qualify, but I would love to be competitive with the best in the world someday.
Why I'm Raising Funds
- I am raising money to help fund my travel and equipment needs this summer and winter. Even though I am competing internationally I still have to cover all my travel costs until I am a regular on the National team. These costs really add up with a few trips to Europe each season.
How I Got Here
- I started skiing when I was in high school for the Ashwaubenon Nordic Ski Team. From there I made the choice to run and ski for Michigan Technological University. At Michigan Tech I made it to the NCAA Skiing Championships twice and raced for the U23 USA team in the 2015 U23 World Championships. After college I decided to continue skiing and joined a professional team out in Sun Valley, Idaho called the Sun Valley Gold Team. I spent 2 seasons racing for Sun Valley in which I won the 2016 Classic American Birkebeiner and the 2016 Kangaroo Hoppet World Loppet. I also had a few top 10 finished on the SuperTour circuit. In the spring of 2017 I was unsure of my future in competitive skiing and was contacted by a friend on the US Biathlon team. After some thought and the Talent ID camp I decided to try and give biathlon a chance. I really didn't know too much about target shooting, but I was up to the challenge. One year later I'm here and it was one of the best decisions of my life to switch.
- It hasn't been easy being an athlete all these years. I've run into my fair share of injuries starting in high school and going throughout college. I've been told I will never run again. I can't say it's been easy and I haven't wanted to quit. Even after college and making it through all the injuries I moved to a professional team where the stress and pressure was even higher. From depleting my finances and draining all my mental power I have had to work a full time job through full volume weeks and dealt with my fair share of depression and anxiety. I love being an athlete and I'm glad that I've had the love and support and my faith to help me through the tough times.
- I can't thank my previous coaches and teams enough for pushing me and getting me to where I am today. My high school ski coach Scott Putman who, even to this day, always has some words of advice on training and improving. I know I can always go to him for some solid advice or a kick butt workout when I'm home. My college coach Joe Haggenmiller. We didn't see eye to eye from the start, but I can't say my college career would be the same if you weren't butting heads with me. Colin Rodgers, Chris Mallory, Rick Kapala, Tom Smith, Paul Smith and the rest of the SVSEF crew. Everyday I was getting solid advice and training from each coach and they were nothing but supportive when I decided to pursue Biathlon. Finally the entire Biathlon community. Coaches, athletes, teammates, and the supporters. It has been so amazing and inviting to be a part of the biathlon team.
Join My Team and Spread the Word!
- Thanks to all the people including my family, friends, teammates, coaches, fans, etc. who have already supported me throughout my years as an athlete. I can never say thank you enough and tell you how amazing all the support has been. I can only hope that I continue to make you all proud of my journey.
Select A Support Level
$100Signed 4x6 action shotPersonalized signed 4x6 action shot.
$200USBA SwagUS Biathlon swag item
$500Bronze SponsorContribute $500 and your name will be added to the Bronze Sponsor list on my website. I will also send a postcard from one training or racing location this next season.
$1,000Silver SponsorContribute $1,000 and your name(s) will be added to the Silver Sponsor list on my website. I will also send a cool item from my sponsors swag box. Hand picked by me!!
$2,500Gold SponsorContribute $2,500 and your name(s) or business will be added to the Gold sponsor list on my website. Also included will be a skiing/shooting lesson from ME! At some point in the future I'm sure our paths will cross and I will owe you a personalized lesson for you or a group.
$5,000Olympic SponsorContribute $5,000 and your name(s) or business will be added to the Olympic Sponsor list on my website. You will also get a feature on my facebook and instagram page, personalized postcards from my races this winter season.